Newsie’s Week in Reviewsies: GOP Outrage & Keep Sen.Cat Killer as Majority Leader!
This regular meta-diary focuses on the best overlooked diaries (didn’t get front-paged or on to the recommended list) from the past week; it was once called “Week’s Best Diaries You Didn’t Read.” This column also includes information from elsewhere in cyberspace, blogosphere PSAs, and my own commentary. Diaries are listed because:
- they’re fabulously written & have SUBSTANCE
- they’ll educate you on candidates and states.
- newsworthy items that got lost in the mix
- there was research involved (copyright rules must be followed)
Please add to the list in the replies or email me links you’d like to see included. For previous editions, search my diaries for them. Consider subscribing to my diaries if you never want to miss an edition. Opinions expressed in the links are not endorsed by me. Archives are here as well.
I want to start by explaining the title. There have long been complaints from the right about Frist’s leadership abilities, or lack thereof. Reid is 10x the Senate caucus leader Frist is. If we have to be in the minority in the Senate, there’s no one else I’d want as the opposition’s Senate Majority leader. Some of our victories or half victories have come as a result of Reid’s leadership and a lack of leadership from Frist. As long as Frist is the Senate Majority Leader, there’ll be an imbalance of Senate caucus leadership (an imbalance in our favor).
Democratic Officeholder(s) of the Week!
Deepest Sympathies to MN St. Sen. Becky Lourey Minnesota State Senator’s Son Killed in Iraq, by mott street
Blue Ribbon goes to… Rep. John Tanner’s legislation to put a stop to mid-decade redistricting. It won’t pass, but it’d make for good PR for the Democrats. Fighting for a principle. 🙂
- Senator Reid stays on the offensive. Some nice lines from Sen. Reid. Read the whole post. He’s done his part in trying to articulate the Dem vision and Dem policies. Others have to do their part. See also: MSNBC: Reid takes control of Frist’s Senate: A maddening week for the majority leader
- House Dems have positive things to say about Dean
- Bob Rubin. House Democrats get a kick in the ass and some backbone from Bob Rubin Sorely needed for this continual battle. Yes, and IA that the Democrats should be saying it loud and proud that they stopped Bush and the GOP from destroying Social Security.
- (WakeupCall) Sen. Mark Dayton (D-MN) is inviting Bush to join him pumping gas and washing windshields as he “talks with local residents” about the use of alternative fuels (Minneapolis Star Tribune). (Newsie: Glad to see that Dayton’s retirement allows gives Dayton more room to kick ass.)
- Jim McDermott, my Congressman, by mcjoan
- Op-Ed in MN Star Tribune: Courageous leaders ignoring threats of the antitaxers Me? I hate taxes. I look at a 1099 form and feel like I’m going to get hives. Some of the taxes that the Republicans want to repeal would benefit me (as of now). But you know what? I believe in a safety net. In addition, there are a hell of a lot of problems that need fixing, and if those things aren’t fixed, I’m only going to be paying even higher taxes in the end anyway or paying for it indirectly because of Republicans and their credit card abusing ways. Taxes should be as low as possible, and the Democrats should run on fiscal responsibility. You raise `em when you have to, and you lower `em when you can.
- Oklahoma First Lady Kim Henry (hubby is Brad Henry, a Democrat). Hey, when you can still get the young ones to make a pass at you, you deserve a mention in this section. (WakeupCall) “That’s right, baby, will you get crazy with me when she wins?” — ex-“American Idol” finalist Matt Rogers, as he “appeared to make a pass” at OK First Lady Kim Henry (New York Post).
Pinocchio Politicians…Phony, Weak, Useless, Incompetent, Hypocritical, Radical, Petulant, Regressive, Corrupt & Power Hungry Right Wing “Worse Than Nixon” Republican “Do As I Say, Not as I Do” Coward Watch!
Empty Suit Thursday: Smilin’ Norm’s Buyer’s remorse, by jjimdscott
RNC shared email list with Hispanic non-profit?, by Tx Tiger Hmm… worth looking into.
W’s Sister and Brother-In-Law: Iraq Oil Kickbacks, by RichRandal
WV GOP picks mudslinger to replace dirty chairman, by Carnacki
Free Enterprise Fund defends DeLay, by Plutonium Page
Norquist-Abramoff Connection?, by Armando
Arnold, Inc. – Donors Get Product Placement in Gov’s TV Ads, by KingOneEye
Overheard from many in South Dakota, by colinm
Items (copied, pasted or reworded) from various sources or compiled by me; some commentary is mine.
Overshadowed Outrage(s) of the Week
All other outrages:
- Right-wingers still moving to try and consolidate power?
- GOP Ohio Coingate The OH Dems seem to have their act together on pushing this into the forefront more. Any word on how it’s being reported in other OH media outlets besides the Toledo Blade and Cleveland Plain Dealer? AmericaBlog had multiple updates on the story.
- Summary of Ohio Coingate
- OH GOP Coingate hits Governor’s Office
- NH Phone Jamming Scandal: Tobin Worked for Frist at the Time
- D.C. non-profit doles out thousands for GOP retreats (from MyDD)
- Republican mainstream likes to use those Hitler references
- Bush flip flops and lies about Social Security
- Judge says DeLay’s TRMPAC violated the law. For more, check out the Daily DeLay’s statement on the judge’s ruling. In addition, some TX newspaper coverage here.
- White House tries to redefine filibuster deal
- Santorum says NYT in favor of Nazis… vid link
- judge owen recieves “poor” rating from houston bar , by djesno
- (Gov.com) A lawyer for Republican Gov. Ehrlich said an analysis of state computers assigned to a fired gubernatorial aide provides no evidence that Ehrlich or his top aides were involved in a political plot to damage Baltimore’s Democratic mayor, Martin O’Malley. O’Malley called the investigation “silly” and “a sham.”
- NYT swings and misses on Santorum article
- Reagan Republican Calls for Bush’s Impeachment
- Baptist Church Sign Says to Flush the Koran
- Spokane Mayor West…More allegations about him and young boys
- Video of Mayor West blaming cancer for his out of alleged control libido re: young boys
- How does Dobson stay tax exempt? By freepress4all
- Thune and his battle to save Ellsworth Air Force Base In other news, South Dakotans want Daschle back. I’d love Daschle to come back, so long as Reid gets to stay minority leader. Oh, and kudos to South Dakotans who are sending out facts and research to attack Thune.
- Rep. Chris Chocola (R-IN) gets accused of flip-flopping on Social Security. LOL.
- Rep. Duncan Hunter (CA) says that women in combat is not a sign of civilized society (video)
- (WakeupCall) “Congress has refused to halt spending on a decade-old investigation of Henry Cisneros” (AP).
- (WakeupCall) “So you had all these fresh young faces — pretty blonde girls, and guys who haven’t shaved — nodding their approval” — a WH reporter on the intern seat fillers at yesterday’s Bush and Hamid Karzai event (Washington Times). (Newsie: Many reporters don’t think they’ll get much new info, so they skip these things.)
- Business Groups Tire of GOP Focus on Social Issues
- Lincoln Chafee flip-flops on Bolton
- Bush lawyer flip flops or lies about stance on gay job protections
- Right Wingnut doctor, Hager, to leave FDA panel. He may have raped his former wife, and yet, he claims to be a God-fearing man.
- Santorum has taken money from stem cell researchers
- Info on the right-wing “Leadership Institute”
- Santorum’s Weather Bill is Criticized Those campaign contributions…
- Some right wingers attack Arlen Specter’s cancer
- Randall Terry roundup
- Ralph Reed deleted from Microsoft’s payroll Good.
- DeLay whines about L&O
- On Bolton, The Nuclear Option and The Perception Of Power – Part V: Purge The Moderates
- Family Research Council Condemns Women to Cervical Cancer, by crazymoloch
- Former NC Democratic Party chairman Lawrence Davis switches to the GOP
More blogs that frequently have posts that deal with this topic:
Sen Gordon Smith gets a free trip to Ireland, by mz
Republican Funnies of the Week
- (WakeupCall) “I don’t know what he is talking about. I have the greatest life” — Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK), 70, on Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) saying if you “have any type of life,” you wouldn’t want to be in the Senate past 68 (Tulsa World).
- USAToday helps you decipher Bushspeak Accurate.
Republican(s) Off Message
- Video: “See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.” — Bush in Greece, New York, Tuesday
- James Dobson: Who does he think he is, questioning my conservative credentials?” Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., said in an interview. Dobson, head of the conservative group Focus on the Family, criticized Lott for his efforts to forge a compromise in the fight over the judges. Lott is still angry. “Some of his language and conduct is quite un-Christian, and I don’t appreciate it,” the senator said.
- McCain takes shot at Frist and defends the filibuster on Faux News w/poll, by Closet VB Coder
- More Republicans Who Think the Nuclear Option Sucks
- Sen. George Voinovich has been off-message on some high-profile issues. What’s gotten into his cheerios lately?
- Video of Voinovich’s Senate floor speech: Bolton’s the WRONG guy for the job
- Republican factions aren’t happy with each other. The tears on this side of the computer screen are tears of happiness (snark).
- House Republicans are suddenly interested in oversight.
- Saddam Pants headline Hilarious.
- Republican admits that business goal is not necessarily to create jobs
Right Wing Corporate/Controlled Media (RWCM) Watch
National Security/Foreign Policy/War/International Issues, News & People in the News
TiVo Alert Nightline to do “Fallen” Again on Memorial Day (Monday) It’s bound to be a tearjerker and eye-opener.
- jotter lists all Downing Street Memo diaries
- Anti-U.S. Rallies Erupt Over Pentagon Report of Handling of Quran, by SusanHu
- AEI ‘Doctor’: PTSD not ‘too’ likely for Iraq Vets, by Benito
- Blow out those daydream candles, laura, by Miss Devore Laura Bush’s Middle East visit doesn’t go so well.
- Karzai: Newsweek Article Did Not Cause Riots, by catnip
- Senate: Galloway who?, by jaysea
- Reporters Find Fresh Mass Graves in Uzbekistan (Why Did They Protest?), by SusanHu
- NYT: U.S. Proposal in the O.A.S. Draws Fire as an Attack on Venezuela, by JoeWpgh
- Bush Chortles While Navy SEAL Is Hung Out to Dry, by SusanHu
- SC’s David Wilkins New US Ambassador to Canada, by catnip
Domestic Issues & Other Issues, News & People in the News
- Nuclear Option round-up in scrollbox below.
- Fact-Checking FactCheck.org on Abortion Rates, by mcjoan
- Yuan Revaluation May Hurt More Than Help, by bonddad
- GM & Ford: Why it’s Management’s Fault, by pacified
- Kraft Foods Tells American Taliban to F#@* OFF! by AZnomad Buy Kraft stuff, and send the company a note of thanks for standing up for what is right. Contact form in the replies.
- Sen. Ken Salazar Pulls a Good One!, by environmentalist Co-sponsoring some good environmental and alternative energy bills.
- MI: Prof at Christian College Endorses Same-Sex Marriage, by Dump Terry McAuliffe
- Owens/Ehrlich: The Homophobia Veto Dance, by JamesB3
- Oklahoma House Passes Anti-Gay Books Resolution, by weirdmusic657
- Student Identified As ‘Black Girl’ In Yearbook, by RandyMI The diary itself isn’t substantial, but the replies and subject matter are why this is listed.
- WA-Gov Election Contest Day Five: LIVE Trial Diary PART II, by archerhouse Other live threads posted by this diarist throughout the week.
- If you care about biodiesel, please read, by KumarP
Series & Roundups
- Sunday Talk Roundups & Poll Screencaps, by Al Rodgers
- Jerome a Paris economic & international events diaries
- Investment Club, by CA Pol Junkie Link to first diary on this, titled “The Basics.”
- Healthcare News Round-ups by the holy handgrenade
- Daily Pulse, by dhonig Roundup of smaller newspapers.
- Reasonable Conservative bloggers
- CrooksandLiars’ blog roundup
- Basie’s interviews with prominent Democrats.
- DKos Diary Series: A Compilation
- NYers United to Portect Social Security
- DCCC: Privatize This! Anti SS Privatization website
- AARP Social Security Blog
- For the latest on Wal-Mart’s crimes, click here for JR Monsterfodder’s diaries.
- For the day’s Greatest Hits, Progressive Pundit Picks from baldandy
- For your LGBT news, please read pamindurham’s LGBT news roundups.
- For all your economy news, please read bonddad’s diaries and economic news roundups.
- For all your religious news, please read PastorDan’s religious news roundups. You can also check out his blog, Faith Forward
- Other meta-diaries: Tomtech’s this week in facism, SeattleLiberal’s Nerd Network News (Science Diaries), and jotter’s jotter’s Most Recommended Diaries.
Democratic Advocacy & Get to Know These States, Regions & Their Players
Campaign News Round-Ups Here:
(instead of the old scrollbox)
From other Kossacks & other places: