Welcome to the
Froggy Bottom Cafe
Newbies, Lurkers and Splashers
hop on in cuz we’re takin’ a trip down memory lane!
On January 24th:
- 1848 James Marshall was the first to discover gold in California, at Sutter’s Mill near Coloma.
- 1916 The US Supreme Court ruled that income tax is unconstitutional.
- 1916 Conscription was introduced in Britain.
- 1935 Beer in cans was first sold, in Virginia, USA, by the Kreuger Brewing Company.
- 1952 Vincent Massey was the first Canadian to be appointed governor-general of Canada (-Sept 1959).
- 1962 French film director François Truffaut’s Jules et Jim premiered in Paris.
- 1978 A Russian satellite crashed near Yellow Knife in Canada’s Northwest Territory.
- 1990 Japan launched the first probe to be sent to the Moon since 1976; it placed a small satellite in lunar orbit (March).
- 1991 More than 15,000 Allied air sorties were flown in the Gulf War, with 23 aircraft lost.
Dates courtesy of Historytoday.com
How are the fates treating you today?