It’s true that Gail Collins laid a very sloppy kiss on Nancy Pelosi, but I can’t say it wasn’t well deserved. Pelosi seems to be able to work her will on the House of Representatives and get her priorities passed. She’s powerful and effective, and she’s the only Democratic leader who begins from a progressive place and aims high. What would be interesting is if someone were to do a kind of project on what Obama would have accomplished so far if he were able to sign Pelosi’s legislation into law without first melding it with whatever the Senate has produced (or refused to produce). It wouldn’t be the easiest project because the House already waters down their product in anticipation of having to negotiate with the Senate. Freed from that requirement, chairmen like Conyers, Waxman, Miller, and Frank would have provided truly stunning progressive change. Every day in this country we pay the price of having an unrepresentative Senate governed by undemocratic rules. And it all, all of it, works against progressive change.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
- The End of the Cold Civil War Is In Sight 19 comments | posted on July 4, 2020
- As Texans Turn on Trump, Other Republicans Are Looking Over Their Shoulder 8 comments | posted on July 2, 2020
- The Other Viral Pandemic In America is Stupidity 9 comments | posted on July 5, 2020
- What Will the GOP Look Like After Trump? 4 comments | posted on July 7, 2020
- Trump Cannot Be Convinced to Confront Russia 2 comments | posted on July 3, 2020
- Wanker of the Day: Senator Josh Hawley 3 comments | posted on July 2, 2020
- Trump’s Floor Collapsed When COVID-19 Hit His Base 6 comments | posted on July 6, 2020
- Even a 10 Year Old Knows Better Than to Believe Trump 8 comments | posted on July 8, 2020
- Trump Defends The Redskins and Indians 5 comments | posted on July 6, 2020
- Trump Cannot Maintain that Russian BountyGate is a Hoax 10 comments | posted on July 1, 2020