It’s true that Gail Collins laid a very sloppy kiss on Nancy Pelosi, but I can’t say it wasn’t well deserved. Pelosi seems to be able to work her will on the House of Representatives and get her priorities passed. She’s powerful and effective, and she’s the only Democratic leader who begins from a progressive place and aims high. What would be interesting is if someone were to do a kind of project on what Obama would have accomplished so far if he were able to sign Pelosi’s legislation into law without first melding it with whatever the Senate has produced (or refused to produce). It wouldn’t be the easiest project because the House already waters down their product in anticipation of having to negotiate with the Senate. Freed from that requirement, chairmen like Conyers, Waxman, Miller, and Frank would have provided truly stunning progressive change. Every day in this country we pay the price of having an unrepresentative Senate governed by undemocratic rules. And it all, all of it, works against progressive change.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
- New Coronavirus Spike is Hitting Trump in the Polls 22 comments | posted on October 19, 2020
- Bill Stepien’s Stiff Upper Lip 9 comments | posted on October 16, 2020
- State of the Race: Almost All Positive 11 comments | posted on October 21, 2020
- There’s No Alternate Universe Where Trump Was a Better President 12 comments | posted on October 16, 2020
- Is Arizona Already Blue? 14 comments | posted on October 17, 2020
- Third Party Candidates Could Determine Control of the Senate 3 comments | posted on October 19, 2020
- Ben Sasse Speaks Up, So Why Don’t the Other Republican Senators? 7 comments | posted on October 15, 2020
- Working At Fox News Can Taint You Forever 2 comments | posted on October 15, 2020
- Rudy Giuliani’s Burisma October Surprise is a Big Nothingburger 2 comments | posted on October 14, 2020
- Yeah, We Gotta Pack the Court 3 comments | posted on October 14, 2020