I understand why Egyptians want to put Mubarak on trial for murder, but it’s not helping matters in other Arab countries. Presently, people are trying to get the president of Yemen to leave office voluntarily. The same thing is happening in Libya. Increasingly, the same thing is happening in Syria. But those leaders are looking at Mubarak’s situation and it isn’t providing them with any incentive to step down voluntarily. I know Egyptians care first and foremost about justice in their own country, but a little Arab solidarity might be called for here. Mubarak could have killed hundreds or thousands like Assad is intent on doing now, but he showed restraint and ultimately respected the wishes of the people. Maybe if he was given some mercy in reciprocation, it would help Libya, Syria, and Yemen transition to new governments without a lot of bloodshed. It’s just an idea. Small ‘D’ democrats ought to stick together. Plus, Mubarak’s an old man and in poor health.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
- Republicans Are Too Tied to Trumpism to Fully Renounce Trump 20 comments | posted on January 14, 2021
- My Thoughts on the Second Impeachment of Donald Trump 17 comments | posted on January 14, 2021
- Suddenly Fox News Is In Last Place 7 comments | posted on January 16, 2021
- When A Lie Gets Too Big 10 comments | posted on January 11, 2021
- What Biden Can Learn from Abraham Lincoln’s Inaugural Trip 6 comments | posted on January 12, 2021
- The Failed Tweaker Coup 6 comments | posted on January 17, 2021
- Science is Back, Baby! 5 comments | posted on January 16, 2021
- Trump Did Us a Favor 2 comments | posted on January 9, 2021
- There’s a Good Chance Trump Will Lose an Impeachment Trial 1 comment | posted on January 10, 2021
- The Democrats Can Help Free the GOP from Trump 2 comments | posted on January 8, 2021