Of course, it’s only natural that Republicans will try to avert blame for our credit downgrade. What’s their alternative? To accept some responsibility? But I hope at least privately that a good many of them are looking in the mirror. For a party that likes to accuse the Democrats of turning our nation into some run-of-the-mill European country, they’ve managed to do the one thing that actually makes us resemble Spain or Italy. As they plot to murder the federal government in Grover Norquist’s bathtub, it’s inevitable that eventually people will lose respect for our country and stop seeing it as a model of stability and a great and safe place to invest.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
- Republicans Are Too Tied to Trumpism to Fully Renounce Trump 20 comments | posted on January 14, 2021
- My Thoughts on the Second Impeachment of Donald Trump 17 comments | posted on January 14, 2021
- Suddenly Fox News Is In Last Place 7 comments | posted on January 16, 2021
- When A Lie Gets Too Big 10 comments | posted on January 11, 2021
- What Biden Can Learn from Abraham Lincoln’s Inaugural Trip 6 comments | posted on January 12, 2021
- The Failed Tweaker Coup 6 comments | posted on January 17, 2021
- Science is Back, Baby! 5 comments | posted on January 16, 2021
- Trump Did Us a Favor 2 comments | posted on January 9, 2021
- There’s a Good Chance Trump Will Lose an Impeachment Trial 1 comment | posted on January 10, 2021
- The Democrats Can Help Free the GOP from Trump 2 comments | posted on January 8, 2021