I’m not sure what the true back-story is about China cutting back on its oil imports from Iran, but it potentially indicates that the Obama administration has succeeded in isolating and strangling the revolutionary government there. As Europe moves to stop oil imports, and Japan and South Korea prepare to follow, Iran is going to go broke very quickly, and their economic elites may quickly conclude that their dalliance with Khomeinism must come to an end. I can’t see how any serious Iranian businessmen would prefer a hopeless military confrontation with the U.S. Navy to a change in regime at home. The Islamic Revolution ought to come to end. It has been surpassed by the Arab Spring and it has turned as inwardly repressive as the Shah’s regime. The people tried and failed to bring the necessary changes two years ago. The missing ingredient was a revolt of the economic elites. Clerics belong in seminaries or mosques, not in power. I hope the Iranian people, including those who have real economic power, will see the light and choose civil government and peace over clericalism and war. My hope is that the world unites and squeezes the balloon until it pops from internal pressure.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
November 14, 2014
November 17, 2015
March 2, 2012
- Elizabeth Warren Just Brass-Knuckled Bernie Sanders 5 comments | posted on January 14, 2020
- Texas's Racial Panic is Showing 6 comments | posted on January 11, 2020
- Pelosi Calls Trump a Traitor and Sends Articles to Senate 10 comments | posted on January 15, 2020
- How Far Will the GOP Go to Avert Defeat in 2020? 2 comments | posted on January 9, 2020
- The Goal of Impeachment is To Remove An Unfit President 7 comments | posted on January 13, 2020
- Lev Parnas Will Be Central in Any Real Impeachment Trial 7 comments | posted on January 15, 2020
- Ruminations on Soleimani and the Middle East 8 comments | posted on January 12, 2020
- An Oligarchy, If You Can Keep It 1 comment | posted on January 16, 2020
- Susan Collins Sounds Like a McConnell Spoiler 8 comments | posted on January 10, 2020
- Michael Bloomberg Will Be the Elephant at the Democratic Debate 3 comments | posted on January 14, 2020