I’m not sure what the true back-story is about China cutting back on its oil imports from Iran, but it potentially indicates that the Obama administration has succeeded in isolating and strangling the revolutionary government there. As Europe moves to stop oil imports, and Japan and South Korea prepare to follow, Iran is going to go broke very quickly, and their economic elites may quickly conclude that their dalliance with Khomeinism must come to an end. I can’t see how any serious Iranian businessmen would prefer a hopeless military confrontation with the U.S. Navy to a change in regime at home. The Islamic Revolution ought to come to end. It has been surpassed by the Arab Spring and it has turned as inwardly repressive as the Shah’s regime. The people tried and failed to bring the necessary changes two years ago. The missing ingredient was a revolt of the economic elites. Clerics belong in seminaries or mosques, not in power. I hope the Iranian people, including those who have real economic power, will see the light and choose civil government and peace over clericalism and war. My hope is that the world unites and squeezes the balloon until it pops from internal pressure.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
October 6, 2016
February 1, 2018
February 18, 2016
- Jerry Falwell Jr. Sends Pictures Of His Half-Naked Wife To His Buddies: Report 0 comments | posted on September 9, 2019
- Opposition to Trump is Now at Volcanic Levels 19 comments | posted on August 2, 2020
- A Dude on Twitter Who Got Elected President 5 comments | posted on August 4, 2020
- Conservatives Would Lose a Civil War 14 comments | posted on August 6, 2020
- Pelosi is in the Catbird’s Seat 9 comments | posted on August 7, 2020
- A Big Biden Win Will Make the Country Less Polarized and More Governable 6 comments | posted on August 3, 2020
- Trump Finally Realized His Attack on Mail Voting Was Costing Him 2 comments | posted on August 6, 2020
- Undermining Faith in Our Elections Raises Constitutional Concerns 4 comments | posted on August 5, 2020
- Running Mates Won’t Determine the Winner of this Election 11 comments | posted on August 5, 2020
- Trump Wants Brazil to Help Him Win Iowa 1 comment | posted on August 1, 2020