Mitt Romney’s week-long international trip resulted in unrelentingly negative coverage from the big three broadcast networks, a stark change from the glowing press awarded to then-candidate Barack Obama’s world tour in 2008. While Obama was treated like a rock star (from the Associated Press: “It’s not only Obama’s youth, eloquence and energy that have stolen hearts across the Atlantic….”), Romney endured a focus on gaffes and the trivial.
MRC analysts examined all 21 ABC, CBS and NBC evening news stories about Romney’s trip to London, Israel and Poland between July 25 and July 31. Virtually all of these stories (18, or 86%) emphasized Romney’s “diplomatic blunders,” from his “golden gaffe” at the Olympic games to “missteps” that offended the Palestinians.
The Media Research Center has released a new analysis of the 21 ABC, CBS and NBC evening news stories about Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s trip to London, Israel and Poland between July 25 and July 31. The report’s findings are absolutely staggering. 18 of the 21 stories emphasized Romney’s perceived gaffes. That’s 86 percent!
It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that the media took this opportunity to thoroughly trash Obama’s rival, but the near unanimous negativity of their coverage is as outrageous as it is transparent. MRC’s analysis also found:
- NBC and CBS savaged Romney for an innocuous remark about London’s readiness for the Games following security issues widely reported by those same networks. The comment was so unremarkable that NBC cut it out of their original taped interview with Romney.
- NBC and CBS only made Romney’s Olympic comments an issue after taking their cues from British tabloids.
- When candidate Obama toured abroad during the 2008 campaign, the networks ignored that Obama falsely presented himself as a member of the Senate Banking Committee to reporters in Israel referring to “his” committee’s calls for divestment in Iran.
- Four years later Romney’s tough talk on Iran in defense of Israel was reported as an “error.”
- During Romney’s week-long trip, the networks committed 53 minutes of almost entirely negative coverage to the Republican candidate. During Obama’s trip in 2008, they spent 92 minutes gushing over Obama.
It’s impossible to look at the fawning coverage of Obama’s trip in 2008 compared to the sliming Romney has taken in 2012 and not see a clear agenda on the part of the liberal media.
Of course…I’m not complaining like the rightiness dinosaurs.
I’m just sayin’…
I mean…even though my sig states:
Always remember…the lesser of two evils is still an evil.
I would much rather have a leftiness-leaning (also known as vacuous-to-repressive neoliberal) opponent than a paleolithic, caveman-right clomp-clomp-clomper like the Mittster simply because I think that I have a better chance of surviving a media assassination than I do one powered by lead.
Dumb as these motherfuckers are, they see the truth of the media matter quite clearly. The fix is in and there is not a goddamned thing that they can do about it except complain.
But you folks?
Eyes wide shut, you wade into the future as blind as a drone with communication problems.
Wake the fuck up.
The fix is in, and it’s in deep.
Stop playing their game and walk into the real future.
Step away from the media with your brains in the air!!!