Knowing that if they wanted to avoid the Nuclear Option they had to let Harry Reid get 60 votes for cloture so he can confirm Thomas Edward Perez to be Secretary of Labor, the Republicans gave Reid the minimum. Only six Republicans voted yes (Lamar Alexander, Susan Collins, Bob Corker, Mark Kirk, John McCain, and Lisa Murkowski). How is that for outreach to the Latino Community? What’s their problem with Mr. Perez? Oh, wait for it, he worked as Assistant United States Attorney General in the Civil Rights division at the Department of Justice. Yeah, he stuck up for people’s civil rights. Imagine the gall!
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
January 16, 2006
August 18, 2006
August 1, 2014
- I’ve Reached My Breaking Point 32 comments | posted on November 19, 2020
- House Democrats Put GSA Administrator Emily Murphy in a Tough Spot 13 comments | posted on November 20, 2020
- Has This All Been a Bad Dream? 13 comments | posted on November 21, 2020
- Self-Interest Explains Why GOP Officeholders Tolerate Trump’s Election Antics 12 comments | posted on November 23, 2020
- Savor the Moment 11 comments | posted on November 24, 2020
- The Republican Candidates Shouldn’t Be Favored in Georgia 10 comments | posted on November 18, 2020
- The Vote by Mail Triumph 3 comments | posted on November 20, 2020
- Trump’s Lawlessness is Spreading With Dangerous Consequences 1 comment | posted on November 16, 2020
- Biden’s Suburban Victory Should Worry Both Parties, and the Country 0 comments | posted on November 17, 2020
- Trump’s Last Act: Risking National Security to Honor the Confederacy 0 comments | posted on November 25, 2020