Knowing that if they wanted to avoid the Nuclear Option they had to let Harry Reid get 60 votes for cloture so he can confirm Thomas Edward Perez to be Secretary of Labor, the Republicans gave Reid the minimum. Only six Republicans voted yes (Lamar Alexander, Susan Collins, Bob Corker, Mark Kirk, John McCain, and Lisa Murkowski). How is that for outreach to the Latino Community? What’s their problem with Mr. Perez? Oh, wait for it, he worked as Assistant United States Attorney General in the Civil Rights division at the Department of Justice. Yeah, he stuck up for people’s civil rights. Imagine the gall!
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
- Republicans Are Too Tied to Trumpism to Fully Renounce Trump 20 comments | posted on January 14, 2021
- My Thoughts on the Second Impeachment of Donald Trump 17 comments | posted on January 14, 2021
- Suddenly Fox News Is In Last Place 7 comments | posted on January 16, 2021
- When A Lie Gets Too Big 10 comments | posted on January 11, 2021
- What Biden Can Learn from Abraham Lincoln’s Inaugural Trip 6 comments | posted on January 12, 2021
- The Failed Tweaker Coup 6 comments | posted on January 17, 2021
- Science is Back, Baby! 5 comments | posted on January 16, 2021
- Trump Did Us a Favor 2 comments | posted on January 9, 2021
- There’s a Good Chance Trump Will Lose an Impeachment Trial 1 comment | posted on January 10, 2021
- The Democrats Can Help Free the GOP from Trump 2 comments | posted on January 8, 2021