Cross posted at DailyKos:http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/21/145947/754.
No PDF, but the entire text below the fold. Source: http://dcinsidescoop.blogspot.com/2005/03/exclusive-gops-schiavo-talking-points.html
Raw Story has just picked it up from DC Inside Scoop, as has Political Wire.
Rumor is that Santorum’s office wrote ’em.
Some of this is just disgusting. To use a tragic situation for political gain. Shame on the GOP.
* How’d anybody in the GOP pass high school biology?
* Isn’t it spelled Terri, not Teri?
* Did the GOP Congressional reps get through school without ever learning about the Constitution?
* Has anyone in the GOP heard of “checks and balances”?
The Republicans: Radical Right Wing Nuts
S. 529., The Incapacitated Person’s Legal Protection Act
* Teri Schiavo is subject to an order that her feeding tubes will be disconnected on March 18, 2005 at 1p.m.
* The Senate needs to act this week before the Budget Act is pending business, or Teri’s family will not have a remedy in federal court.
* This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue.
* This is a great political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida – has already refused to become a cosponsor and this is a tough issue for Democrats.
* The bill is very limited and defines custody as “those parties authorized or directed by a court order to withdraw or withhold food, fluids, or medical treatment.”
* There is an exemption for proceeding “which no party disputes, and the court finds, that the incapacitated person while having capacity, had executed a written advance directive valid under applicably law that clearly authorized the withholding or withdrawal of food or fluids or medical treatment in the applicable circumstances.”
* Incapacitated persons are defined as those “presently incapable of making relevant decisions concerning the provision, withholding or withdrawal of food fluids or medical treatment under applicable state law.”
* This legislation ensures that individuals like Teri Schiavo are guaranteed the same legal protections as convicted murderers like Ted Bundy.
Write Some LTEs: http://democrats.org/media/index.html