It’s not helpful if your press secretary is hapless (Scotty McClellan), clueless (Dana Perino), or a liar (Ari Fleischer). If you want to advance your agenda, it is important that the press gives you a fair shake, and a good, competent, informed, and honest press secretary is a non-trivial factor in any administration’s success. Robert Gibbs is an excellent choice for the Obama administration. I think it’s great that the face of the administration is going to have an Alabama drawl. It might be a largely Chicago operation (which is fine by me), but it’s going to sound a bit more diverse than that.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
January 27, 2010
- The Nevada Debate Was Entertaining and Revealing 7 comments | posted on February 20, 2020
- The Only Way for Elizabeth Warren to Win 15 comments | posted on February 18, 2020
- The Republicans Are All Michael Dukakis Now 3 comments | posted on February 17, 2020
- Bernie Sanders and the Non-Voter Revolution 8 comments | posted on February 19, 2020
- If You Want Bernie’s Medical Records, You’re a Birther? 5 comments | posted on February 19, 2020
- The Nevada Caucuses Will Be a Giant Disaster 5 comments | posted on February 21, 2020
- Plurality Winners Have No Automatic Claim to the Nomination 13 comments | posted on February 20, 2020
- How is Biden Doing in Nevada? 7 comments | posted on February 17, 2020
- Is This Country Ready to Lurch to the Left? 9 comments | posted on February 18, 2020
- Sanders is On the Cusp 15 comments | posted on February 22, 2020