A little bill introduced by Walter ‘Freedom Fries’ Jones has the most co-sponsors of any bill introduced since 1973. Before that, we don’t have records. All this bill does is change the name of the Department of the Navy to the ‘Department of the Navy and Marine Corps.’ The purpose is simply to honor the sacrifice and role of the Marine Corps in providing for the national defense. However, John McCain is objecting to this change. Interestingly so is former Marine, Sen. Jim Webb (who also served as Secretary of the Navy). I don’t understand the objection. I would think the image of the Navy would be enhanced by greater awareness that the Marines are part of the Navy.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
- Could Mitch McConnell Really Lose His Reelection Bid? 16 comments | posted on October 21, 2019
- There is No Way Trump Should Survive This Scandal 13 comments | posted on October 18, 2019
- Trump Breaks His Pattern and Retreats on All Fronts 8 comments | posted on October 21, 2019
- But Her Emails 11 comments | posted on October 19, 2019
- The Public Now Wants Trump Removed from Office 6 comments | posted on October 17, 2019
- This Is What Desperation Looks Like 10 comments | posted on October 23, 2019
- We Used to Oppose the Rise of Authoritarianism in Europe 4 comments | posted on October 22, 2019
- Mick Mulvaney Concocts the Worst Defense in Human History 3 comments | posted on October 17, 2019
- The Biggest Scandal in American Political History 7 comments | posted on October 23, 2019
- I Hate to Admit the Moderates are Right About Medicare-for-All 9 comments | posted on October 16, 2019