A little bill introduced by Walter ‘Freedom Fries’ Jones has the most co-sponsors of any bill introduced since 1973. Before that, we don’t have records. All this bill does is change the name of the Department of the Navy to the ‘Department of the Navy and Marine Corps.’ The purpose is simply to honor the sacrifice and role of the Marine Corps in providing for the national defense. However, John McCain is objecting to this change. Interestingly so is former Marine, Sen. Jim Webb (who also served as Secretary of the Navy). I don’t understand the objection. I would think the image of the Navy would be enhanced by greater awareness that the Marines are part of the Navy.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
October 19, 2009
November 19, 2006
- As Trump Flails, Surprising Critics Emerge 15 comments | posted on May 27, 2020
- So, You Want a Landslide? 11 comments | posted on May 24, 2020
- Trump Could Triple the Death Count Within Eight Weeks 10 comments | posted on May 23, 2020
- You Freedom Feels Like My Prison 20 comments | posted on May 26, 2020
- Are White Working Class Folks Tiring of Trump’s Act? 7 comments | posted on May 25, 2020
- Casual Observation 9 comments | posted on May 27, 2020
- How Not to Win Michigan 3 comments | posted on May 22, 2020
- Lindsey Graham Finds Out It Was Barzini All Along 1 comment | posted on May 21, 2020
- The Empire State Building is a Model for All of Us 4 comments | posted on May 28, 2020
- Winning Support from Suburban Republicans is Key for Biden 6 comments | posted on May 28, 2020