I’ve said for a long time that it should be America’s foreign policy to rather aggressively avoid taking sides in any sectarian hostilities between Sunni Muslims and Shiite Muslims, which means that we should not try to impose an outcome in the Syrian Civil War that favors the Sunnis and also that we should quit treating Iran as the world’s worst actor while arming Saudi Arabia to the teeth. Unfortunately, we have interests and obligations in the region that cannot simply be ignored, and we cannot always remain neutral in every dispute, but we should strive to be as even-handed as possible in what has become a widespread sectarian conflict. The Obama administration took this approach and suffered some of the downside consequences while also avoiding many possible worse outcomes. The Trump administration threw in aggressively on the Sunni side, making Saudi Arabia the cornerstone of their regional policy, largely in exchange for tens of billions in arms sales. They are now looking like abettors of the worst kind of monster.
About The Author
Martin Longman is the web editor of the Washington Monthly. He is also the founder of Booman Tribune and Progress Pond. Before joining the Monthly, Martin was a county coordinator for ACORN/Project Vote and a political consultant. He has a degree in philosophy from Western Michigan University.
- State of the Race: Almost All Positive 15 comments | posted on October 21, 2020
- Biden Was Always the Right Fit for 2020 28 comments | posted on October 24, 2020
- Why Won’t Mitch McConnell Explain What’s Wrong With His Health? 11 comments | posted on October 23, 2020
- Does Trump Know Why He Can’t Answer the Pre-Existing Condition Question? 13 comments | posted on October 22, 2020
- New Coronavirus Spike is Hitting Trump in the Polls 14 comments | posted on October 19, 2020
- The Curse of The Trump Moneymen 3 comments | posted on October 23, 2020
- Trump’s Sequel Cannot Compete With Borat’s Subsequent Moviefilm 3 comments | posted on October 26, 2020
- Third Party Candidates Could Determine Control of the Senate 1 comment | posted on October 19, 2020
- Jerry Falwell Jr. Sends Pictures Of His Half-Naked Wife To His Buddies: Report 0 comments | posted on September 9, 2019
- There’s No Alternate Universe Where Trump Was a Better President 1 comment | posted on October 16, 2020